Saturday, March 14, 2015

St. Augustine, Florida: Castillo de San Marcos National Monument

Travel Date: Friday, Dec 12 2014

I walked toward the Castillo de San Marcos


A monument not only of stone and mortar but of human determination and endurance, the Castillo de San Marcos symbolizes the clash between cultures which ultimately resulted in our uniquely unified nation.  Still resonant with the struggles of an earlier time, these original walls provide tangible evidence of America’s grim but remarkable history.
Source: NPS Castillo de San Marcos website.


A view of the surround area.


Time to go pay for my ticket. And then I realize it is a National Monument so my National Parks pass gets me in for free. YESSS!


Begin the walk through the fortress entrance.


Shouldn't that flag be the flag of the United States?


There is a cannon missing somewhere. Can't you identify the spot?


It is getting closer to sunset as I pass by the Ravelin: a shield for the fortresses entrance.


I walk through the drawbridge and into the fortress.


Welcome sign. I wonder if ... no, they didn't have this sign back in the day.


Amussettes and Ammunition.


Re-enactment of the old days in the middle of the fort: the Plaza de Armas


Various views of the Plaza de Armas.



The British room: A bunk where 4 men slept in 'close quarters.' Two on the top and two on the bottom.



The room next door.



The Chapel.




The Treasury room.




Time to walk upstairs.


The views from various edges of the fort: San Agustin Bastion, San Pedro Bastion, San Fablo Bastion, and San Carlos Bastion are amazing with the impeding sunset.









The Castillo is over 300 years old, and most of the damage to it has resulted not from past battles or sieges but from thousands of people each year. The fort is constructed of a unique sedimentary rock called Coquina, which, despite its obvious strength, is very fragile and susceptible to wear. So there are warning signs to not climb the walls, to not sit on stone surfaces, or on the cannon, and also watching your step going up and down the levels.
Source: NPS Map of Castille de San Marcos.




A view of the Ravelin from the top. It was not fully built yet,.









Over looking the city of St. Augustine.


I decide to walk to the Sentry Box of San Agustin (I think)



And take a picture of the view with out the sunset from the prospective of the box itself.


And another with the sunset from the San Pedro Bastion.


They close the fort after sunset so I was one of the last to leave the fortress.

Time to head to Jacksonville to see Savio and Beth.

Reflections:

I wish I had more time to play adventurer and wanderer in St. Augustine. There is so much to see here. So much history!

The Castilly de San Marcos is truly is remarkable. I'm very glad I decide to stop by the fortress and be present for the sunset. It was time well spent.

Expenses: $33.65
Gas: $25.18 (Sunoco)
Museum: $8.47 (First Colony)

No comments:

Post a Comment