Saturday, March 21, 2015

Asheville, North Carolina: Day 1 - Gingerbread Houses and Christmas Trees

Travel Date: Tuesday, Dec 16 2014

My friends Stephanie and Rona mentioned I should go to The Grove Park Inn. My friend Mary also suggested I go there especially this time of year to see the Gingerbread Houses. With three friends urging me I decided to go.


I paid the $10.00 parking fee. The Grove Park Inn (now owned by the Omni) has a beautiful front face.



And the large Christmas tree that greets you.


I'm excited to see what Mary was talking about: a National Gingerbread House Competition.

It began with a small group of gingerbread houses built by community members in 1992 as another way to celebrate the holiday season with no plans to continue the following year. There was no possible way to know that more than two decades later The Omni Grove Park Inn National Gingerbread House Competition would be one of nation's most celebrated and competitive holiday events.
Source: The National Gingerbread House Competition Brouchure


There are various Christmas Trees and Gingerbread Houses scattered all over the Omni - Grove Park Inn. I decided to present them in my blog post in this order.

Adult Top Ten





This one was one of my favorites.






Teen Top Ten Display












The Child Top Ten Display












Youth Top Ten Display












And finally the winner.


A chess set... that is awesome!!!




And now the numerous Christmas Trees scattered across the Vanderbilt and Sammons Wings.
















The view from the Wings of the Omni is amazing.




A view from the courtyard of the mountains.


The sun is beginning to set.




One last cocktail at the bar while watching the sunset.



Time to go eat some dinner.


Reflections:

This was a great stop to experience.

Thank you Stephanie, Rona and Mary for mentioning especially. I enjoyed the Gingerbread Competition Finalists a lot and the assortment of Christmas trees. It is definitely a place to take an excursion during a Christmas Weekend and enjoy the festive cheer.

And on a good reasonably clear evening you can even enjoy the romantic sunset in the courtyard. Although it can be a little cold outside this time of year.

I'm still thinking about those gingerbread houses. The rule is everything has to be edible except the base.

Expenses: $22.77
Parking: $10.00
Beverages: $12.77

No comments:

Post a Comment