Saturday, February 14, 2015

Savannah, Georgia: Day 3 - Wormsloe Historic Site and Early Colonial Life

Travel Date: Tuesday, Dec 02 2014

Got up, had breakfast with Sonya and Graham. I just missed Valentin since he left for school. And after breakfast I said goodbye to them and thanked them for their hospitality and generosity in hosting me.

I decided to head over to the Wormsloe Historic Site.


According to their website: it is a breathtaking avenue sheltered by live oaks and Spanish moss leads to the tabby ruins of Wormsloe, the colonial estate of Noble Jones (1702-1775). Jones was a humble carpenter who arrived in Georgia in 1733 with James Oglethorpe and the first group of settlers from England. Wormsloe's tabby ruin is the oldest standing structure in Savannah.


I park and visit the registration area.



Ah Live Oak and ...


Spanish moss and ...


Resurrection Ferns ...


And cartoons.


I get back into my car and drive towards the visitors center.


I park and walk around.



And read signs about the Noble Jones Wormslow.


Official pass


There is the Visitors Center.


Looks like a traditional tent back in the day.



I walk inside and it appears I am the only visitor so far. Well that makes sense since it just opened. I go into the theater room.


And watch the video about the first colonists and Noble Jones Wormslow.


After the short movie I walk around the various exhibits and learn a little about the history of Georgia. Learn more here.




Looking at 18th century medical instruments.







It is confirmed that Cricket is Georgia's First Athletic Sport (not baseball).


After reviewing the exhibits in the Visitor's Center it was time for a walk on the grounds.


First up is the William Bartram Trail.


I love the live oak and spanish moss.



More exhibits along the way.


The color of the trees are changing.




I continue walking through the large plantation.




There is light at the end of this sort of tunnel.


The is the tabby ruins. The quarters of some of the settlers in the 1740s. It was occupied until the 1820s.













I continue walking.


And come across the Wormsloe Family Gravesite.


And then the marshes.



I continue to walk along the marshes.








After walking by the marshes I begin to walk towards the exhibits of early Colonial Life.



One final panoramic view of the marshes




Checking my map to make sure I'm not lost and on track for the early Colonial Life exhibits.


I am. Once I cross over the bridge.


There it is: early Colonial Life.










A 5 star hotel back in the day :-)



I could walk down the Battery Trail but it is about 2-3 miles and I don't have that much time.





I leave the early Colonial Life exhibit and walk towards the interpretative trail.

Exhibit 3.



I noticed some deer. Can you see it?



I continue walking enjoying the changing colors of the trees.


Make it to exhibit 2.



And then later to exhibit 1.



Obviously now I realize that I walked the path backwards but oh well.


Time to head to downtown Savannah for lunch and a cocktail before driving towards Statesboro, Georgia.

Reflections:

Wormsloe Historic Site was interesting. Not my favorite place that I've visited and a little pricey for the $10.00 entrance fee but I did learn some US and Georgia history. And I feel a little excited and tickled that cricket was playing in the later 1700s and early 1800s by the first colonists.

Expenses: $10.00
Wormsloe State Historic Site: $10.00

No comments:

Post a Comment