Thursday, July 31, 2014

Devils Tower, Wyoming: I sooo want to climb it.

So after lunch and my nap I drive out to Wyoming, and the first city sign I pass by is Aladdin. Made me chuckle. I'm heading to Wyoming as an excursion to see the Devils Tower National Monument.

Per the National Park Service: It is a geologic feature protrudes out of the rolling prairie that surrounds the Black Hills. The site is considered Sacred to the Lakota and other tribes that have a connection to the area. Hundreds of parallel cracks make it one of the finest traditional crack climbing areas in North America


After a 1 hour drive through the interstate and then a beautiful countryside I see it in the distance. Can you?


There it is.


Getting closer.


And closer. No, I'm kidding. That is just a zoomed in version.




And then I arrive. Another free entrance thanks to my National Parks Annual Pass.


Before I begin the hike uphill and around Devils Tower it is important to note the following.


There he/she/it is.


I walk around the trail.


And take various angled photos of Devils Tower.




There are actually people climbing the tower. You will have to zoom in to see. It is hard unless you know where to look. I sooo want to climb it.






 And the surrounding views along the trail







There is life at the top of the tower.


After I am done with the trail, I get into my car and head for the exit. But stop by randomly to take pictures.



I come across a prairie dog area.


These little critters are cute, especially when they stand up on the hind legs.


The prairie dog grounds.


Just beside the road


Oh no! They've spotted me.


Actually they spotted a guy feeding them. I just happened to be behind him. Yes, you are not supposed to feed them.


Not so small now are they?




After I leave Devils Tower I continue to drive by and stop along the way and take pictures of gorgeous scenery.






This part of Wyoming was really beautiful.

Expenses: $0.00

No comments:

Post a Comment