Monday, July 7, 2014

Cincinnati, Ohio: Various Adventures

After a delicious breakfast with the Fernandes, I headed out to Cincinatti, Ohio (Cincy).


Parked my car and walked to the Coffee Emporium. Someone told me that they have really good coffee.




After spending sometime blogging and chatting with a few locals, I got some suggestions of things I should try as well as those Jerome gave me and I headed into downtown and walked around.

I love this fountain and book art at the Cincinnati Public Library.



But the most captivating thing about walking everywhere downtown is the murals.

 








After walking around through the various parts of the city and gardens I headed to Skyline Chili since it was a touristy thing to do.


As soon as I walked in the staff were very welcoming. I sat down and they gave me a sampler to taste.


And then I got the 5-way special: steaming spaghetti covered with our secret recipe chili, topped with a mound of shredded cheddar cheese, onions and beans.


The staff around me were fantastic and very friendly. They gave me some other suggestions of things to try out: one in particular Graeter's Ice Cream.


So I headed down to Fountain Square. I have been here before but in the night time.




Found Graeters Ice Cream.


As expected there is a line.



I'm getting my Double Chocolate Gelato!


Time to dig in at Fountain Square and bask in the sunshine with a cold creamy dessert.



After consuming some very tasty calories I decided to burn some of them by walking to a local brewery on the other side of town. I passed by the Findlay Market.


And the outdoor seating. I was tempted to sit outside and watch the Netherlands Costa Rica futbol game but decided to continue on to the brewery.


A few blocks later I found Rhinegeist Brewery.



They have large for various beer and game activities.


The pouring station


Time to watch the game


My $8 sampler.


With some new friends from the area that I made: Chris and Jill from High Park Cincinnati.


They just celebrated a "birthday" as a brewery.


I walk back through the streets of Cincinnati back to the main downtown area.


 Walk towards the Ohio river and see the Great American Insurance Group building.


And the John A. Roebling bridge that links Ohio to Kentucky over the Ohio River. I decide to walk the bridge into Kentucky and 'formally visit' the state and turn around and walk back.


Views from the riverfront as I head to the bridge.


Water play park.


The bridge



Views of the Great American Insurance Group building and Cincinnnati Reds baseball field.



I get into Covington, Kentucky, turn around and walk the other way. The views of the other side of the Ohio River and the Cincinnati Bengals football stadium.



After walking the bridge I decide to get back to the car and drive to Mount Adams to try and find the location Jerome informed me about to see the entire city and the skyline. I come across "The Church of the Steps" ~ Immaculata.



I get a small view of the city from their overlook.



I walk around the Church near a private residence and get a different look.


I walk back to downtown Mt. Adams and decide to grab a beer and talk to the people around and get some tips on where to go.


The almost empty bar.


The view of the street from inside the bar.


The people I met sitting outside mentioned I should go to the City View Tavern to get a good view of the city. A few moments later I'm there.


The view from the balcony in the late evening while there is still light.


I go back to the bar and order some bar food.




And talk to a local at the bar: Amy who gives me the run down of the people and the city since she herself is a transplant.

Night time rolls by and I get a good view of the city and the lights.



Before I leave, Amy tells me about a great bar that I need to visit before I leave. It is apparently a wonderful bar hidden that a lot of celebrities and only locals know about ... and it is a hidden gem called The Blind Lemon.

I google it and head there. The pictures I look came out quite dark, but it is sufficiently light with an AMAZING ambiance.


You literally have to walk through a very narrow passage way (hole in the wall). Prior to getting there you noticed the plaque with all the famous notable people who have visited there.


Inside
Bar 1:


Bar 2:

Pano:

 Even the bathroom door has stain glass.


Outside there is a patio and live music.




I head back to Maineville, Ohio and call it a night. I really enjoyed Cincinnati.

Thank you Jerome & Val for a wonderful stay. I am so grateful for your hospitality and kindness. Wish I could have stayed longer and kept up with Jaden and 'soccer practice' - or eating some delicious Indian food. :-)

Expenses: $50.41
Coffee: $2.75
Lunch: $5.95
Beverages: $8.00
Candy: $3.75
Beverages: $5.27
Dinner: $15.15
Beverages: $9.54

No comments:

Post a Comment