Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Shoe Shopping, Fondue Dinner ... what else would a guy want?

The weekend arrives. I wake up and after getting through my morning routine I realize that instead of starting my weekend at the office, I should take a much needed break before going back to the office grind. I go to my favorite weekend hangout spot: Lexington Coffee.

I'm perusing through the facebook newsfeed but my mind is still really at the office. Okay, I need a distraction.

I find myself at Walkabout Outfitters in Lexington digging through their shoes and their backpacks contemplating what to buy for my trip to Spain. After trying out some equipment, I return back to the coffee shop and think about calling my leisure day off and returning back to the office and the phone rings.

My two close friends Mary and Amanda are going to meeting up in Charlottesville, Virginia for a fondue dinner and want me to come join them and their families. Say what, fondue dinner. SOLD!

I drive up to Charlottesville, visit Ragged Mountain Running Shop, and explain to them about my travels and my shoes needs. I try about three pairs of shoes, walk up and down in them. The one great thing out Ragged Mountain Running shop is they watch you walk/run and assist you in picking up the perfect shoe. After trying about three, I decide on one that is hugs the shape of my feet, is breathable, not too light or heavy, has good stability for with my stride, and appropriate padding and grip for the various conditions I am about to endure in Spain. Seriously didn't think finding a shoe would be that hard but I'm feeling good about it.



Now, off to dinner with my girls.


The six of us (Mary, her husband Ted and their son Andrew, and Amanda and her husband John) sat down around 5:30 PM.  I think we left around 9:30 PM or so. All I remember is

  • I was starving before dinner. I had to loosen my belt at the end.
  • We all got caught up in each others lives and other mutual friends lives. 
  • Andrew provided endless entertainment with balloon disappearing acts, eye pokes, and various other acts of cuteness that would take a separate blog post to describe.
  • Appetizers: the cheddar cheese fondue (aged, medium-sharp cheddar and Emmenthaler Swiss cheeses, lager beer, garlic and seasonings) and the fiesta cheese fondue (cheddar cheese blend with lager beer, jalapeƱo peppers and salsa made as spicy as you like.) served with chips and veggies
  • The lone salad without the dressing (you know who you are)
  • Main courses of sirloin, duck, pork (and yes, I can eat pork - thank you for asking only me dear waiter), shrimp, sausage ... cooked in a traditional season court bouillon (fresh seasoned vegetable broth) or the Coq Au Vin (burgundy wine infused with fresh herbs, spices and mushrooms.)
  • And who could forget the two different chocolate fondues we had. Actually I forgot their names... but they were too visually appealing to pass up on appearance - despite the enlarged bellies. They were served with  fresh strawberries, bananas, cheesecake, rice krispies treats, marshmallows, pound cake and brownies.
You should totally check out The Melting Pot. OMG! Expensive, delicious, and worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment