Tuesday, January 6, 2015

San Antonio, Texas: Day 1 - First American Cycling Experience

Travel Date: Wednesday, Oct 29 2014

After leaving Dallas, I headed to San Antonio. Traffic through Austin was annoying but I finally made it. I arrived at my couchsurfer (Rama) home. He left the key for me so I walked in and took a nap on the couch. 

After he arrived we talked for a bit and we decided to head out around town. I asked if he wanted me to drive and he said yes but we would be riding a bike. To be perfectly honest, I have never ridden a bike on the roads of the US before - or at the least I don't remember. 


Rama and I ride until we get to La Gloria.


Grab a bite to eat, get some beverages, and talk to some of the locals.



We then ride around and bounce to other restaurants/bars.


And then we eventually ride back home.

Reflections:
Rama just made an indelible mark on my trip. I have never ridden a bike on the US roadways and initially it was uncomfortable and awkward. But after finding my bearings it was a whole lot of fun and great exercise. I felt very energetic, and healthy despite the consumption of various foods and beverages. I am definitely investing in a bike when I relocate to another city and reducing my 'carbon footprint'. Thank you Rama for enlightening me on this experience.

Hanging out with Rama was like hanging out with the Indian brother I never had. We clicked and got along well and conversation flowed smoothly.

Looking forward to tomorrow. A tour of the Alamo, the Riverwalk, a meetup with a friend from college, and then the Saints game.

Expenses: $45.24
Breakfast: $45.24

No comments:

Post a Comment