Monday, August 18, 2014

Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho

As I was driving towards Craters of the Moon I noticed the first overlook and stopped to see it. 


Took a couple of pictures



And then entered through the Monument entrance and through the Fee Area. Thankfully I have a National Parks Pass that gets me in with no charge. Otherwise it would be a $9.00 fee. Not expensive but every park or monument you hit up with ding you with charges and that adds up.

First stop is the North Crater Flow Trail.


And I walk the trail.


I love the solidified lava, but wish it was red and still moving. Obviously that would be dangerous but definitely exciting :-)










I get back in the car and head over to Devil's Orchard.


There is plant life at Devil's Orchard. Crazy considering there is very little water.







There is even a bird in the tree. Can you see it?



I like this quote.


I get back in the car and drive by the Cinder Garden.


This is a little scarce on the cinders but I passed a large hill with lots of them. Unfortunately there was no parking. So you will have to live with this image.


And then I move on to the Inferno Cone Overlook.


A nice 0.4 mile uphill walk.


I'm close to the top.





The various views from the top of the Inferno.



A view of the parking lot from up here.


Proof I'm standing on the hill :-) Yes, it could be photo-shopped but it is not. You will have to take my word for it.


I move on to the Spatter Cones.





I wish I could climb down into them.



But they are fenced in.



Next up is the Lava Cascades.



And finally, I'm ready to head out to Boise, Idaho.

Expenses: $0.00 (because I had my National Parks Pass)

No comments:

Post a Comment