Saturday, December 27, 2014

Bentonville, Arkansas: The Origins of Walmart

Travel Date: Monday, Oct 27 2014

Drove from Fayetteville to Bentonville, Arkansas and parked near the center of the town square. First thing I noticed is the Confederate Soldier Monument at the center.




And directly across the Confederate Soldier Monument is the original Walton's Five and Dime store which eventually grew to become the giant supermarket chain Walmart. It now serves as the Walmart Visitors Center.




I walk in to get a free self guided tour.


Time to watch the introductory film.


The original office.


A bust of Sam Walton


Didn't know he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.



Time to engage in lots of staring, blinking and reading - or pretend reading.







Walmart is born.






Taking notes (or in my case pictures).



Walmart becomes publicly traded.



And then a billion dollar company.







Got flair?


How Walmart gives back.



The pick up truck that Sam Walton ALWAYS drove around.











As I am exiting the Walmary Visitor's Center I enter the ice-cream parlor and decide to get satisfy that sweet tooth craving.



Cookies and Cream milkshake it is!


I walk out the exit doors.


I walk around the very small downtown area and enjoy the milkshake.


And then it is time to go visit the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. It is a free museum which was also founded by the Walmart Family: Alice Walton - daughter of Sam Walton.

Reflections:

I have mixed feelings about Walmart. Pay their hourly employees poorly. They cost cut really well and hurt local businesses but provide a great deal for average consumer who is trying to get the biggest bang for their buck.

Visiting the Walmart Visitor Center was interesting though from a business case study prospective and learning about Sam Walton and how he created an empire. Amazing stuff. Maybe I learned something that I will get to apply one day.

One thing for sure that I enjoyed was the Cookies and Cream milkshake. Nom nom nom!

Expenses: $3.30
Milkshake: $3.30 (Walmart)

No comments:

Post a Comment