Friday, September 5, 2014

Portland, Oregon: Day 3 - Feeling Alive at Powell's City of Books

Got up and had breakfast with Bill. Then went out to Powell's Books aka Powell's City of Books.


Love the entrance.


This place is big: I think takes up an entire block and is about three or four stories big.


I'm feeling at home with all these books around.


I love how they have Staff Picks around.


Oh no, what happened here?


Ah, few. Empty shelves look lonely.


I love this section!


After walking around the book store, I sit down near the coffee shop and try to get some blogging done.


I notice a man on the table across making flowers out of paper. He is talented.


After catching up with some blogging, I walk around to a nearby brewery and restaurant: Deschutes Brewery.



I get a sampler.


And some sweet potato fries.


While enjoying the view of the brewmaster working at his beer.


Later I walk around the city and pass by a REI store.


I need to purchase a sleeping pad for camping. After talking with one of the staff people I bought one sufficient for my travels. Even tested it out on the floor.


Time to go purchase it.



After REI, I headed back home. Around supper time we headed out to one of Bill's favorite restaurants: le Bistro Montage.







I love the dinner menus. All handwritten.


Bill and I get an oyster served in a shot glass with cocktail sauce, horseradish & lemon.


Absolutely delicious.


And then our dinner. Mine was alligator linguine.


Very good. Still reminiscing about the alligator bites from New Orleans, Louisiana.


After dinner, it was back to the house and bedtime. Tomorrow I head over to Crater Lake National Park and then a visit to my friend Lavon's home in Terrebonne, Oregon.

Reflections:
I loved loved loved Powell's Books. It was amazing. I would walk over there for hours and practically live there - just reading and sleeping. I truly felt alive. Portland is definitely a weird city, which makes sense after you see the slogan 'Keep Portland weird' on various things. But spending time at Powell's and with Bill made by trip to Portland well worth it. Don't think I could live here though.

Expenses: $141.74
Parking: $9.60
Beverages: $15.50
Camping gear at REI: $89.99
Dinner: $20.65
Beverages: $6.00

No comments:

Post a Comment